Friday, July 11, 2008

SIDE 2: Caught in the middle between what she sees and feels

Jody Vasquez of Phoenix works in the Maricopa County Jail, operated by Sheriff Joe Arpaio. She has some powerful perspectives that must be kept in mind in the ongoing immigration debate. Here is her opinion:

I cry every year when I hear of the young people that die trying to cross the desert. The people that come over here to work and send money back home are not the problem either. But there is also the side I see working in the jail.

The human smugglers are ruthless and heartless people that take advantage of the people looking for a better life. They extort money from families living in poverty, they kill them if the family doesn't pay, and then pay more, and rape them even if the families do pay. I have to look these guys in the eye, feed them and listen to their grievances about their discomforts.

I am human, too, and they treat me a lot worse than I have ever treated them. I had a seventeen year old juvy girl (in jail) that was helping the coyotes. She would knock on the door of a drop house, and when someone looked out and saw it was just a young girl, they would open the door. The coyotes would come from behind her, run inside, tie the people up, and steal the drugs and money that was being smuggled by other coyotes.

She was the only one that got caught, and since she wouldn't testify against the coyotes, she got 17 years. I really got attached to her and asked her why she was willing to do time for grown men that were out there living free, she said, "If I snitch on them they will kill my Mother."

She got involved with them in the first place because they paid her a LOT of money. I'll never forget her, she broke my heart. The night before she went to prison she sat on the table in the dayroom and cried; she asked me if I could write to her, I had to tell her "no" and it took everything I had not to cry, too.

Those guys didn't give her a second thought.

Then there is the crime factor here in our hometown. This isn't the same place we grew up in. The border towns in Mexico seem to have no laws, and when many of them come up here, they bring the same mentality with them. If you read the crime page in the Arizona Republic, you'll see about 80% of the burglaries are committed by Mexican residents that are here illegally.

EVERYBODY knows somebody that has been in a traffic accident with an illegal resident without insurance. A co-worker of mine lost his 16-year-old daughter when a drunk ran a stop sign and killed her five years ago. He ran back to Mexico and didn't do a day in jail.

When I started this job in 1989, there were about 50 juvy boys being tried as adults; now there are about 400, at least 1/2 are illegal, in for murder, car thefts, kidnapping, armed robberies, trafficking stolen property and sexual crimes. If their parents came over here for a better life, the kids didn't appreciate the opportunity they were given.

The Mexican Mafia is successfully becoming millionaires with the weed and the meth that is on our streets and in our schools. About two months ago, there were 3 dead bodies found in alleys in residential areas. (19th and Northern area). It was said to be linked to the human smugglers.

My Son had his I.D. stolen and was told by Social Security that he worked at a "Metals Management" company. He told ss to check again, and they confirmed that there was a "Richard Vasquez" with the same ss working there. The Immigration Officers live very dangerous lives. They are often shot at or paid off.

Who is really in control? Who really has the power?

I used to think that all they needed was a chance, too, but it is not always appreciated the way WE would appreciate it.

Would we move to Mexico on OUR terms?

Would we break into houses there?

Would we carry guns and murder their people?

Would we be all about making illegal money from stuffing 50 people in a house?

Would we refuse to learn Spanish?

Would we feel good about making big money selling drugs to their kids?

We can't pretend we live in a safe city. We can't "do nothing". We have the good, hard working families that have come over here for a better life, and we have just as many bad, criminal minded, people with no soul that have changed our existence.

I agree that the Sheriff goes about what he is doing in a very negative way, he knows how powerful the media is, but the problem is more than people know, huge, frightening, and overwhelming. Also, I am making about 50% less than I made last year, homes all over my neighborhood are abandoned, our economy is struggling, what if we just can't take care of the hundreds a day that are coming into our state?

At least a hundred came over while I was writing this. What is the answer?

No comments: