Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Who's on first? Apparently WKRN Channel 2


Reporter Amy Napier Viteri of WKRN Channel 2 writes to tell me that her station was the first, major media outlet to reveal the tortuous mistreatment of Juana Villegas DeLaPaz by Berry Hill Police and the Davidson County Sheriff's office.

That's good enough for me, because Viteri is a good and trusted journalist, and I know she initially tried to interview Mrs. DeLaPaz last Thursday after she was released at 2 to 3 in the morning by the Sheriff of Nottingham ... er, I mean Davidson County.

NewsChannel 5's Brent Frazier reported the story on Saturday night. I wrongly cited his report as the first by a big news outlet. The Associated Press locally released a very well-written story yesterday.

So, I wish to extend my apologies to News Channel 2. I appreciate their continuing coverage of this outrage, which represents Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo coming to America and Nashville.

No comments: