Saturday, February 14, 2009

We can be our best when things are at their worst

My favorite scene from Starman is when Jeff Bridges the alien speaks of his examination of the human species.

And he speaks to what he finds most worthy in us: "You are at your best when things are at their worst."

He is right. Recite the list of recent tragedies in this nation and the national and personal response -- Oklahoma City, 9/11. Katrina, the Christmas Tsunami and so many others.

But those events are only for the moment. The long-term record for humanity is a very poor one.

Our schedules are too busy. We don't have the time to offer kindness to the world, let alone a person who asks for it. I know that from personal experience.

No government or stimulus plan is going to rescue us. And don't look to God. He has already provided us His son and a Bible that directs us on how to help ourselves and others.

Too many people believe going to church each Sunday and reciting prayers by rote is enough. That is laughable. It is obeying the letter of the law while ignoring the heart of it. I know too many people like that, including those I used to call friends.

Amid our pain and fear, we must reach out to one another, everytime, everyday. We must make time in our busy schedules to simply be kind to one another -- to be our best when things are at their worst.

In that way, we'll show God we have learned the hard lessons about life in hard times. And the reward to us from offering simple kindness to another will be a river of mercy flowing into our lives when we need it most.

I know that from personal experience, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Karen Allen, I wrote an unsolicited script for a Starman sequel back in 1998. It was my first script and I quit college to finish it. It’s been gathering dust ever since. I sent it to Jeff Bridges and John carpenter, although I would prefer if Carpenter didn’t direct a sequel. I wrote some good f/x sequences and some interesting characters. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be involved, but I’d to see the f/x scene from the beach being incorporated, (Jeff’s manager Neil will know the one, totally plagiarised from another movie, but it would look great on film today). If anyone has any questions, email me at hansenfilm@yahoo.ie and I’ll answer them. (Although I won’t give away any plot points. And yes there is a son and indeed, I actually have the perfect casting suggestion!!