Monday, September 1, 2008

Condolences due to former Williamson County Sheriff Ricky Headley over death of his son

Losing a child to suicide is perhaps the toughest thing for a parent to experience.

Early in my career, I watched the parents of a close friend and colleague go through this horror. And so it is with deep sadness that I learned of the death of the son of former Williamson County Sheriff Ricky Headley.

WSMV Channel 4 reported this evening that Headley's son, an education professional, apparently died Saturday from a self-inflicted wound from a gun.

Parents grieve, as much for the loss of their loved one as for what they believe was their failure to stop it. They should not feel guilty. They did all they could.

Since my colleague's suicide, I've studied the reasons behind suicide. I needed to know why, if that is really possible. Suicide ultimately is an act of anger, something the victim felt was their only response to life situations that had sent them deep into depression and desperation and a void without apparent solutions.

From my personal experience, I've seen suicide happen to families of governors and the working poor. Suicide does not discriminate.

I believe the souls of those who commit suicide are rescued by God, even after death. People make wrong choices in life. Suicide is one of them. The only difference is that you cannot take it back or embrace more understanding and treatment.

So to Sheriff Headley, I want to express my deep condolences and my hope for the grace of consolation and understanding upon him and his family. May your good son -- who simply made a bad choice -- rest in peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a family member of the Headley's and we are deeply saddened over this. It just came as a shock to us because Ricky was so happy and had a bright future ahead of him and a family that loved him very much. This was just a mistake he was not depressed he had a great life and a beautiful daughter that loved him and he loved her. I still can't believe this is happening. Thank you to everyone that has been there. We love you Little Ricky and you will forever be missed.

Unknown said...

I have known Melissa for many years and there was never a time when her two sons were not mentioned in the first words of the conversation, she has expressed how proud the boys have always made them. I'm a mother of two also; and I cannot begin to imagine how surreal and painful this whole experience has been. I will keep all their family in my prayers, life will go on and thankfully Little Ricki left a beautiful proof of his existence with his baby girl.