Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Take a drive down Nolensville Road and judge for yourself about the contribution of Hispanics

I drive down Nolensville Road in south Nashville near downtown once and twice a week.

My destination is either St. Edward Catholic Church or Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church. And I amazed at how the area does not fit the profile delivered by the local news media.

We read and hear constantly about the MS-13 gang. But there is no grafitti associated with gangs on any of the business walls I drive by or on the churches.

The storefront are always clean and bright. New businesses open each week I drive by. When I stop to shop, I have never had a bad experience. And speaking Spanish is not required.

The store owners are bilingual. And they pay business franchise taxes, property taxes and sales taxes to send their children to school and support the general welfare of Nashville.

Yes, some storefront feature the names in Spanish. But that is so all Hispanics can feel comfortable and be aware. When I lived in upstate New York for four years, storefronts in Utica often were only in Italian in more segregated communities. And no one complained about that.

I've neve asked anyone if they are documented or undocumented, citizens or immigrants. It does not seem to matter amid all the positives I continue to see of people pursuing the American Dream and succeeding. As Ronald Reagan always said, a rising tide lifts all boats. He'd be proud of what's happening on Nolensville Road.

So if you get a chance, drive down Nolensville Road near St. Edward's and Our Lady's. Don't depend on the news media. Judge for yourselves and see the incredible contributions being made to sustain and move this area of Nashville forward and toward the better day Reagan saw for us all.

No comments: