Thursday, February 12, 2009

Warning: Don't blow nose when you have a cold

The New York Times has a most-needed article for this time of year that says it is bad to blow your nose when you have a cold.

Yes, you read right.

The proper method is to blow one nostril at a time and to take decongestants, said Dr. Anil Kumar Lalwani, chairman of the department of otolaryngology at the New York University Langone Medical Center. This prevents a buildup of excess pressure.

Who knew?

The article says that the sinus cavity simply refills with infectious mucus after nose blowing, thus spreading infection.

So don't blow. Endure.

When I have a cold, I have a favorite nostril that I want to stay clear always. It is the right side. So I'll maneuver and blow just the right side to get relief. But from The Times' piece, I'm really not helping myself, or others around me.

Good thing I live alone.

No comments: