Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Readers make excellent points; here is a response and information on imprisoned children

A reader makes an excellent point about me showing my hypocrisy in criticizing Tennessean columnists Phil Valentine and Gail Kerr in a previous post yet making second-hand claims about this nation's incarceration of children for doing nothing wrong.

Another reader asked for my source for my claim. That was another excellent response.

I use The New York Times for my information, and to a lesser extent lesser prominent media. I believe The Times is the newspaper of record for this nation. Here is one of the stories. I'll provide more in the future, including the ACLU lawsuit and the settlement the federal government made over the treatment of these incarcerated innocents.

One more note, there is a prominent local connection to the incarceration of children at the T. Don Hutto facility in south Texas. It is run by the Nashville-based Corrections Corp. of America. How do you feel about that, Nashville?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/10/us/10detain.html

No comments: