Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bishops wrong to take Catholic Democrats to task over statements about abortion, conscience

The Associated Press writes today that American Cathoic bishops have taken Dem VP candidate Joe Biden to task for his comments concerning abortion, the Catholic church and his personal conscience.

This response follows the same feedback to Dem VP Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi for comments she made about Catholic teaching and disagreement among the flock over abortion. Her archbishop in San Francisco has asked to speak with her, and the possibility denying her Communion has been floated.

Indeed, the bishops are right that life begins at conception. And yes, all life should be defended. But when it comes to the political arena, the bishops have ignored the truth that those who back their position on abortion are the least progressive defenders of life after conception.

Take for instance when government funding is needed for pre-natal care. Those who oppose abortion say no. Less government and lower taxes, they cry.

When it comes to affordable and accessible health care for that mother and child once the newborn breathes his or her first breath, the political players who are against abortion say no. Less government and lower taxes, they cry.

The same hypocrisy is repeated on each matter of defending life after conception. The bishops ignore this reality. There is no doubt that the Catholic Church does incredibly heroic things -- charitably -- to defend life after conception. But that is no replacement for public policy, which also is of the people, in a nation that claims to be under God.

Labels don't apply. "Pro-life" is inaccurate for those who oppose abortion. "Anti-choice" is the more acccurate description.

My parents, lifelong Catholics, were not publicly aredent about abortion. My father was outspoken about capital punishment and against it from his negative experience with the court system. The legal system is not blind.

For me, the past three years of close relationships with the good doctors at Vanderbilt Medical Center have proved one thing to me: No one, no government, no bishop should interfere with the relationship between a doctor and patient. I expect them to make the best decision. They at least need all options open to them.

In my writing career, when I would interview conservatives, particularly men, they would be ardently against abortion. But some, I repeat some, of their wives would privately say to me that they prefer women had all the medical options open to them.

So that is what I believe. If the bishop here wants to call me in to talk about what I've written and my taking Communion, I have some things about defending life that I'd like to discuss on the record for my readers to review.

Why the lack of diocese support by simple financial donation for Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church in Nashville? Doesn't that immigrant life of Catholics there need to be defended?

I've yet to see the bishop on TV publicly speaking out against the heinous 287g deportation program in Nashville that is destroying Hispanic families here. Doesn't that life need defending?

There are a lot more questions I'd like ask about defending life. So I'm ready to meet on the record.

And for the bishops across the nation, stay out of politics unless you are going to take Republican candidates to task for not supporting life after a child is born.

No comments: