Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fighting cancer: Patrick Swayze is an inspiration and now completing a new TV series for A&E

To many of us fighting cancer with a high mortality rate, actor Patrick Swayze is a hero.

And this fine actor will gain a broader audience when his new TV series "The Beast" debuts this year on A&E. We know that each moment must be seized. Life is not long-term but every day. And we can make a mark in life by what we do, even something so small.

In a story in The New York Times, the reality of fighting terminal cancer and still living each day was candidly discussed by Swayze:

So far, the production team reported, he has missed only a day and a half of work. Mr. Swayze said: “I’m still fine to work, I haven’t changed — oh, I have changed, what am I saying? It’s a battle zone I go through. Chemo, no matter how you cut it, is hell on wheels.”

But beyond medical difficulties with his pancreatic cancer, it is apparent that Swayze has discovered a truth about living life that we as fellow cancer survivors so far also have been blessed by God to discover.

“I do find myself, at the end of the day, riding home sort of catching myself with a smile on my face,” he said. “I’m proud of what I’m doing.”

The end of the day is all that we are guaranteed. I'll keep praying for Swayze. You should, too. He is teaching us an invaluable lesson about living life, with cancer or not.

To read more, go to: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/arts/television/29sway.html

No comments: