Saturday, October 18, 2008

DIABETES! I have it, here's how fight it: One in a series of posts about this epidemic touching us all

I am a diabetic.

I don't write those words in shame but out of a sense of commonality with many of you out there.

This lifelong malady has become an epidemic in our land. Beyond heredity, it has exploded onto the scene along with the elastic on our waistbands. Our high standard of living and/or dependence on fast food has tragically turned many of our children into diabetics. That requires monitoring of blood levels four times a day, with an uncomfortable prick of the fingertip, and then when needed an injection.


But we can fight this malady and succeed in living a normal life. First, however, we have to acknowledge and implement lifestyle changes.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE: My experiences and advice are tied to people with high blood sugar under TYPE II diabetes. Some folks with diabetes have low blood sugar readings and must adjust their diets and lifestyle opposite of my advice. Always check out anything I write with your doctor.


1) LOSE SOME WEIGHT: A common characteristic preceding a diagnosis of diabetes if obesity. If you are noticeably overweight, your chances increase of getting this malady. You've got to exercise four times a week at least, even if it is just walking in the house for 30-45 minutes. Weight loss and exercise immediately influence blood sugar numbers for the better.

Now some folks may not be able to exercise due to complications diabetes has delivered into their legs and eyes. So don't fall. First, talk to your doctor about exercises according to your physical restraints. Until then, stay seated and safe. Also, drugs to fight more difficult cases of diabetes can make you gain weight.

I contracted TYPE II diabetes when I was not at my top fatty weight of 260 pounds. I had been diagnosed with leukemia in Dec. 2005, received gallons of chemo, almost died in June/July 2006 and kept falling from an accompanying lack of balance from all the treatment. I no longer laugh at the commercial of an older person that became a national punchline: "I've fallen and I can't get up."

I have, and it is terrifying. I've broken both my elbows, collarbone, ribs and fingers.

So obesity is not always the problem. I weighed at my lowest of 177 pounds about 18 months ago, and I used to stand 5-11 with a barrel chest. Besides my heredity from my marvelous mother's side of the family, I had to take Prednisone -- a steroid -- to repair my fast-declining body.

The steroid protects vital organs from destruction of the chemo that a took daily and once a month in giant doses in my veins and in my back through spinal taps. Those aren't fun either.

My diabetes will never go away as long as I keep battling my leukemia. But I'd rather be alive another day with pricks of the fingers and injections than being dead. I remain in remission, but the chance for me to fall out of it is still prominent. And then I'll die very quickly because as an American of Hispanic descent, there are few matches for people who look like me.

But that's for another blog. I don't mind dying soon like I used to. I now know what it is like and how to prepare, particularly mentally. And that is most of the battle, as long as you and your household can afford good health care.

I'm most blessed to go to Vanderbilt Medical Center, which has the best doctors, nurses and staff in the health care field. They provided a big assist to God and intercessors Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Perrgrine in keeping me alive so far.


2) Adjust the diet, yours and that of your children TODAY.

No more sugared soft drink. Period. A lot less candy, too. If you are scared of the big sweetening chemical in diet drinks that some folks claim causes cancer, buy the generic store brand such as Publix puts out in Orange. No, it doesn't taste as well like as Diet Sunkist. But it does provide enough satisfaction after you've weened yourself after the hard sugared stuff over two weeks.

Ice cold water is a good substitute to help you with the withdrawls. Here's the best thing about this in a recession: Publix Diet Orange -- 63 cents per two liter; Sunkist Diet Orange, $1.79. Do the math and smile!

Stop the white bread, get wheat bread and eat bread overall less often. You'd be surprised at how many products have refined sugar in them. Milk has 5% sugar. Stunning. What's wrong with bread? Carbohydrates. It's the same with nuts.

They also feed the blood sugar problem. You find carbs in breads, pastas, pinto beans(that was tough to accept for me) and an assortment of your other favorite foods. You've got to become a label reader at the supermarket. The percentage of carbs and the grams of sugar are on the side of the box or the side of the can. Read and beware.

Meats are our friends. They have nothing in sugars and very little in carbohydrates.

3) STAY COOL! Don't worry about getting freaked out in the beginning. It is shocking stuff. Adjust and assimilate to a new lifestyle that will leave you feeling and looking a lot better.

With sugared soft drink, get rid of over a two week period. On your first few days, cut the regular consumption in half. Replace the lost consumption with cold water. Off go all to diet soda in the beginning. Taste-wise, improvements to diet "pop" as we say in the South, has been most progressive in Sprite, Dr. Pepper and Orange soda.

With bread, you must go wheat with sandwiches immediately for yourself. It is more costly, but whole wheat is better for your body. Fewer biscuits also are in order. That means no stopping by McDonalds or other fast food places in the morning. And then lunch must not include a hamburger bun.

Potato consumption also should be reduced. So should rice. And corn. That's a lot of demand, particularly when one of these food sources often usually is employed to replace the other. And they're cheap.

Vegetables are our friends, as long as you read the label. Green vegetables are a great nutritional and diabetes-fighting substitute. But they also are more expensive.

Cooking more at home also saves more money during a recession. There are a lot of diabetic recipes on the Internet.

Remember, as with any diet, you are allowed to cheat during a week. But be sure to give back to the diet at another meal and eliminating one of the less than desired components. Keeping your blood sugar, although it is done by daily measurement, is done by a long-term dietary plan.

This is a good place to stop with the first post. The next one will be on Monday. Don't get discouraged. Living with diabetes is doable, and you'll feel and look better for it.

No comments: