Sunday, October 19, 2008

Greed ruined America as frugality was forgotten; older Americans and scripture can teach us much

My good friend and colleague, Tony Williams in Dallas, sent me this great note amid these difficult economic times now and the worse ones to come:

One thing I have learned from my 93-year-old neighbor, Col. Woodrow Wilson (no kidding): The value of frugality. My brother said my dad was so tight, he squeaked when he walked. But only with himself. Always the best for my brother, my mother and me all his life.


If we as Americans want direction for surviving now and in the future, we need to seek out our older neighbors and loved ones. They know how to survive mentally and financially in hard times.

One minister who appeared on CNN early this morning says we should also look to scripture. It is full of financial advice -- of not spending more than you have on the things of this world.

Yesterday over lunch, Father Joe Pat Breen and I spoke of the days of lawaways at stores, when you spent a little each week to be able to get clothing or toys by Christmas or Easter. Now credit cards have erased those times.

Father speaks of counseling couples getting married now, and they talk of their homes that are being built for them. Used to be, even with me, you started out in an apartment. When you married, you moved to a rental home or duplex. When you started a family, you bought a small house. I bought my home at 38.

The young of this nation will have the most difficult time in the coming near Depression.

Only good advice from traditional sources -- free from greed -- will lead us through these hard times.

No comments: