Friday, October 17, 2008

Mary, Elvis and Me: A Story about The King and Louisiana -- a state that makes all of us look good


The news of Elvis possibly being alive -- which would be wonderful -- ironically comes on a day that I was going to blog about The King and a friend of mine.

Well, I hope we're friends. She put an LSU Tiger refrigerator magnet in my shopping bag -- unknowingly to me until I got home -- after I mercilessly teased her about the superiority of the Tennessee Lady Vols basketball team to any Lady Tiger team from Baton Rouge.

I'm just glad it wasn't a snake. But Louisiana folks don't really try and get you back, even though pundit James Carville looks and acts like a snake. They win you over with charm, a sharp sense of humor and the best cooking anywhere.

Mary, born in a small town south of Shreveport, is much more than a daughter of Louisiana. She saw Elvis in 1956 or 1957 on the celebrated Louisiana Hayride. Mary says she saw Elvis with the great pianist Floyd Cramer. "Last Date" is a favorite all-time song of mine.

Despite my persistent pestering, she adds she did not scream when Elvis shook his pelvis or any other part of his body.

Mary also saw Elvis' last Shreveport concert in the early 1970s. So she has followed The King from start to finish.

In my mind in my family that loved Elvis, Mary is quite a celebrity and a nice person to boot from Louisiana -- the saving grace of the South. If you want to see a celebrity, go by Publix at Cool Springs and don't be cruel despite her being an LSU fan.

Elvis and Pat Summitt rule!

No comments: