Saturday, October 11, 2008

Businesses like Publix and managers such as Joe will navigate long economic downturn just fine

I was talking to my neighborhood grocer Joe, the manager of the Cool Springs Publix, about the coming economic tough times.

"Are you worried?" I asked him.

"No, we'll be all right," he replied.

And he's right. Businesses managed by good people with knowledge of their communities will be all right. They care enough about their communities to keep non-hormone milk for $3.39 a gallon like Joe has all this summer. That's a great buy for a family and for old farts like me trying to keep their bones from whittlin' away.

The secret to navigating hard times is still giving your customers quality while trying to keep a lid on prices and offering bargains when you can. For instance, Joe just had the Quaker Oats boxes of oatmeal packets on sale for $2 a box. So I bought a dozen boxes, which will save me money for two months from the regular price of $3.79.

Publix is perfectly positioned for the Williamson County market. It offers more quality than Kroger's -- particularly when it comes to produce and milk.

It competes price-wise with Walmart, particularly when it comes to fresh meat and peanut butter. And it has free samples with recipes, particularly in making quick, healthy meals. Neither Kroger's or Walmart even tries.

I appreciate that Joe is my neighborhood grocer. I wish more businesses, particularly newspapers, followed his lead. And I bet more employees, particularly those of newspapers, wish they had good TOP managers such as Joe.

No comments: