Monday, December 29, 2008

Addendum to Tennessean series: Biitersweet to miss the business and people but not treatment

Here is another poignant comment from a former Gannett colleague well aware of conditions at The Tennessean with its employees:


Tim,

I'm a former "Gannetteer" and worked for the Clarksville, TN Leaf-Chronicle as a reporter for 10 years. I used to read your column often and I am sorry about your situation. I'm glad you're making the most of it.

I've heard the horror stories at the Tennessean and worked with some of the staff editors, writers and photographers on special projects. It's a bitter sweet fate that I'm not in the newspaper business anymore.

I do miss the people and heartbeat of the newsroom. but I do not miss the hours, low pay and ridiculous demands placed on those who have remained. Then there's the massive layoffs.

I knew it was getting bad but I had no idea it would go this far.

I hate to see my comrades be raked over the coals, especially those who love the newspaper business, but it is a sign of the times.

Gannett stock was at $7.50 a share today (it was about $85 a share in Dec. 2005). I'll be lucky if I still have my contributed funds in my 401K after Gannett stock runs dry.

Take Care,
CE

No comments: