Tuesday, December 16, 2008

When it comes to why bad things happen to good people, 'The Juggler of Notre Dame' outperforms Dickens' true classic, 'A Christmas Carol'

For the economic hard times facing this nation and world besides continuing tragedies of terrorism and weather, the movie, "The Juggler of Notre Dame", is much more meaningful for this season than Dickens' classic, A Christmas Carol.

Now I realize that's a heady statement. But the story of the personal, burden-laden circus juggler dates back to a story that made the rounds in 12th Century France. It is heartbreaking yet restoring in the end. And it is about a man who no longer hoped, compared to Ebeneezer Scrooge who had plenty of belief is his ability to make himself more wealthy to the detriment of others.

I won't spoil more of the story for you. I saw the movie first 24 years ago, produced by the Paulist Press. Little did I know then how much the movie would speak to me now and my life. The movie, which can be ordered off the Web, is a blessing for this season.

And a reason to still believe in God's love in this and every season.

No comments: