Monday, December 22, 2008

Following St. Augustine's advice and coming home

The great thinker of the Church once said: "To sing once is to pray twice".

And so tonight, I embark, or re-embark, on making my prayer double-strength, jumbo-sized -- thank you, St. Augustine. I've decided to join the choir for Christmas and perhaps many Sundays afterward.

I used to love to sing, more specifically cantor -- as a twenty and thirtysomething in churches from Oklahoma to New York State. From folk music to traditional hymns, there was no praise left unsung. And I was the more blessed for it.

Somehow, and for some reason, I drifted away from praying twice. To be really honest, I know the reason. It was more important for me to hear praise about myself as I pursued a professional career from newsrooms across this nation to the White House.

I should have been giving all the credit and glory to God.

Yet in his mercy, God has allowed me this most generous opportunity to come back home, like the Prodigal Son. This time, I won't let him down, and myself as well.

No comments: