Friday, December 5, 2008

Amid all the hurt, there is kindness and hope

I had almost given up on kindness, not just in my personal life but the world locally, nationally and globally.

The terrorism in India and the heightened tension with Pakistan have been frightening and tragic.

More than half a million Americans lost their jobs last month. The unemployment rate did not go up beyond 6.7 percent because so many people had given up on looking for work.

The Tennessean layoffs of so many good people were so cruel. I got an e-mail from a former colleague that one of the people laid-off has acute diabetes. I have Type II. I can only imagine the terrible struggle with acute diabetes. God bless this soul.

A good friend of mine did not return my phone call. She has a nine-year-old daughter and three-year-old son. Now she has no job three weeks before Christmas. I feel very bad for her and want to help in any way I can. If she is reading this, I hope she will return my call. Let the anger and hurt wash over you and then off. Anger only denies a place for God's love and healing. I've learned that truth.

A also feel bad for the good readers of this area. They have been betrayed, just when this state and Nashville needs leadership of a competent and compassionate press. But what has happened has happened.

So I felt real bad going out today. But then I came upon an older lady, struggling to pull up a luggage carrier of boxes. I asked if her if she needed help. She said yes.

I asked if she was traveling somewhere. She answered no. She was going to take boxes of presents to children in need. And one box had her entire bear collection.

In these moments, you realize that God lives and rules. He does not bring about terrorism or calloused, cruel layoffs locally. He only gives us a choice of how we respond.

For every action by Tennessean and Gannett management, there is one woman struggling against the darkness. For her, particularly in this Advent season, I will remain hopeful and more kind to those around me.

No comments: