Monday, December 8, 2008

Tennessean has mole trying to make excuses

Anonymous comments are understandable. But when they apparently come from The Tennessean, well it's kind of cheap considering it requires people to be on the record for comments to it.

There is an Anonymous reader sending me comments disputing some of my writing. One mistake I did make in one post was to say the newsroom laid off 92 people. It was 22. I apologize to my readers for misleading them in the one post. I've had the right number in other posts.

Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous is trying to dispute my fuzzy picture post. The source is solid, the designer who befell the bogus excuse from the then top editor. Now I might agree that The Tennessean never really did have a marketing survey about fuzzy photos and how readers felt about them. But the top editor back then was not on a first name basis with the truth. He shot from the hip on his best days. And poor Craig Moon was often the victim of this problem.

That does not make the then top editor any worse than other Gannett editors across the company. But it does confirm a recurring problem with supposed leaders who instead are only out for themselves. And employees and readers end up paying a terrible price, three weeks before Christmas.

No comments: